Aaron Carter checks into rehab, loses custody of 9-month-old son

Aaron Carter claimed in a new interview published Tuesday that he is voluntarily attending an outpatient rehab program to gain custody of his 9-month-old son, Prince.

“It’s a sobriety program and I work with a personal counselor,” the 34-year-old “Aaron’s Party” singer told The Sun via video conference, while he and fiancé Melanie Martin went on a grocery shopping trip.

“I do group therapy, parenting classes, domestic violence classes, I’ve certified myself in CPR, just so many different things.”

Carter shared that a court order held that Martin’s mother has custody of the couple’s son because of concerns about domestic violence and drug use.

Although he claimed that the rehabilitation tenure is not court-mandated, he said he is participating in the program because he wants his “son back”.

Earlier this year, Martin accused Carter of fracturing three of his ribs during an altercation.

However, the “House of Carter” star denied any abuse allegations, and Martin later said on Instagram that she made “false” claims because she was suffering from postpartum depression.

The on-again, off-again couple have since rekindled their relationship.

Carter also denied to The Sun that he was addicted to prescription drugs, noting that he was seeking help managing the “triggers” that caused him to want to smoke marijuana.

“The main reason I’m enrolled in Lionrock Recovery Outpatient is to help weed out,” he said. “I don’t want to smoke weed anymore. I really don’t need to.”

The “I Want Candy” singer said he has a medicinal marijuana license, but he “thrown away” all the plants and strains he was growing.

He also admitted to taking Xanax, but said it’s part of his “regimented drug” plan, which helps keep him “clear of dust.”

In response to claims that Carter was under the influence in a video posted on Instagram Live, the former child star blamed fatigue.

Aaron Carter at an event.
Carter also claimed that the court said he did not “need” a mental health evaluation.
Getty Images

“There [have] There have been times, because I have insomnia, I’ll take my medication for sleep and then I’ll go on a livestream, and I’ll get really sleepy,” he said.

“I should go to sleep, but sometimes I wake up a little later than I should.”

Carter concluded by saying that being a father was the “most important” thing for him.

“One of the many downsides of fame is dealing with your personal problems in public,” said the “Marriage Bootcamp: Family Edition” alum.

“Right now, both of our priorities are putting our issues to the side and trying to build a new and better foundation for our child.”

Aaron Carter holding his baby in bed.
“I want my son back. That’s the title right there,” Carter told The Sun.
Aaron Carter/Instagram

Carter and Martin welcomed the Prince in November 2021, more than a year after getting engaged.

Although the couple does not currently have custody of their son, Martin has posted several videos and pictures of him hanging out with the baby on social media, proving that she still looks up to and spends time with their child.

Carter told the Sun that a custodial court hearing is to take place sometime this month.

Source link